2017

2017

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Broken Bone


We experienced our first broken bone :(

Tuesday, July 25th, my mom and I dropped my car off at the shop and headed to eat breakfast.  After breakfast, we had not heard about the car, so we decided to take the girls to Brookshire's park to play.  We had been there about 15 minutes when I got a call that the car was ready and then a call from Josh that we needed to get home to meet a repair guy for our upstairs AC unit.  I started rounding up the girls.  I passed Macy on the monkey bars and told her we were about to leave.  Then I walked over to Eden.  Macy came over and was covering her right wrist with her left hand and told me she hurt it.  When I asked to look at it, I knew immediately that it was broken.  She was so calm, I was surprised!  We got the girls to the car and headed to spine and joint urgent care.  She still wasn't crying but she was starting to get upset because she knew we were leaving for Galveston on Saturday.  X-ray showed 2 breaks and one of them was pretty bad displaced.  They splinted it and sent us home.  Her sisters were ready to take good care of her!












She had some sweet visitors bring by a Sonic slushie, sparkle flowers and singing balloon..



Wednesday morning, I called and got her an appointment to see an orthopedic that afternoon.  In the meantime, we tried to keep her comfortable.  She was a trooper, but I could tell she was hurting.  She kept asking for Tylenol :(


We ran into a cousin at her appointment!

The doctor felt like the one break that was displaced was just too much to let it go.  He scheduled her for "surgery" that Friday morning hoping that he would be able to just manipulate it back into place without having to use pins.  She would be put to sleep.

She was pretty anxious about Friday, so Thursday became a day of distractions!  We started by making banana bread and then they pretended to make things from their cookbook.



Friday morning at 5:30.
Ready for surgery but very nervous!

It was over quickly and he was able to just set it.  She was grumpy coming off of anesthesia but really seemed more comfortable now that the bone was no longer displaced.  She never complained about pain again at this point.

We headed to Galveston and she was just such a trooper.  We brought a cast cover but I think it was stressful for her to have to watch to make sure no water was getting in.  So by the last day she asked if she could stay at the beach house and color with Grammy.  Never complained or felt like she was being left out.  I was so proud of her!

Wednesday, August 9th, she got her first hard cast which was casted over her splint.  It was huge!  Her x-rays showed it had shifted some but he was not concerned.

Just couldn't resist taking pictures of her.  Sweet thing.  She slept on the sleeper sofa in the play room for a while so she didn't have to mess with her top bunk.  Now she's back in her room but Eden is sleeping on the top.






Wednesday, August 16th we got the big heavy long cast off and a short cast on!




She has handled it so much better than I would have!!  So proud of my big girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment