2017

2017

Monday, May 15, 2017

Mother's Day


The girls sometimes bring something home from school that asks what they want to be when they grow up.  And a lot of times their answers will vary greatly from one week to the next!

Just last week we were driving through the bank and the conversation from my backseat went as follows:

Macy: I'm going to work at a bank when I grow up because I'm good with numbers.
Eden: Me too!
Macy: No, Eden.  You have to do something you're good at, like...(awkward 30 second pause) You're good at making things so you work in a cafe.
Eden: Ok.  And Kate's good at cleaning things so she can wash clothes for people.
Macy: No.  Kate's fast so she will be on a track team.  And Lucy's a good sleeper so she will work in a nursery.

#macyhasitallfiguredout

I love hearing them talk through these things.  And then there was the one time I heard Macy's sweet little voice from the backseat say "I want to be a mommy."

And my heart swelled.

Then she said, "So I don't have to go to school and I can be lazy."

I almost came out of my seatbelt.
Josh was quick to start rattling off all the ways Mommy is NOT lazy and I just started smiling.  The girls may not comprehend what all it takes to be a mommy at these innocent ages, but my heart prays that they would experience it one day.  (Way down the road!)  And not because I want them to know all the grief they caused me through the years like people joke about.  "You just wait..."  Not that.  I want them to experience a love that makes you feel like your heart is going to burst.  To look down at this precious life and feel totally overwhelmed and unequipped to guide them to adulthood.  To realize the depth of their relationship with their Savior as they lean into Him for wisdom, strength, and yes, Lord, sweet rest.  I want them when they read God's consequences to Eve in the garden, to see that bringing life into this world would not only produce temporary pain during childbirth.  But a lifelong brokenness for your children.  To guard and protect, pray over and with, to desire good things for them but to ultimately give them back to the One who can truly produce any good in their lives.  I want them to experience that.

There's a Scripture in Psalms where the writer prays that he would see "his children's children."  I've always loved that and prayed it as well.  And now that I have these sweet girls, I pray all the more that they would experience this gift called motherhood.

Growing up, my answer to the "what do you want to be when you grow up?" question was always a mommy.  So for me, I'm living the dream.

Thank you, Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment